So you found your dream apartment at Richfield Lifestyle Estate and now the fun really begins: it’s furniture shopping time!
One of the most important pieces of furniture for your new apartment is going to be your bed. The average person sleeps between six and eight hours a day, which means that you spend between a quarter and a third of your day in bed. The wrong mattress can therefore cause a lot of physical harm, so you need to ensure that you look after yourself and buy right the first time.
Back pain is no picnic – if chronic it can affect your whole body and your entire health. As back pain is one of the first consequences of spending eight hours on the wrong mattress, it’s imperative that you know what to look for when buying this crucial piece of furniture.
Here are some tips on what to look for in a mattress.
- Determine your budget – Before you hit the shops, decide on what you are willing to pay.
- Check out current special promotions – Stores often have special offers around holidays and long weekends to pull shoppers
- Give each mattress a proper test – 30 seconds is not enough to determine whether a mattress is comfortable. Ask the salesperson for a pillow to try it in your normal sleep position.
- Forget about brand loyalty – and don’t fall for words like “orthopaedic”; all mattresses are designed orthopedically.
- A bigger bed means less partner disturbance and is therefore beneficial to alleviating back pain. You should also consider the height of the bed – it should be relatively easy to get in and out of bed.
- Make sure you also buy the right pillows – sleeping on pillows too high or too low will cause a crick in the neck.
- Learn to adopt a sleeping position that creates less stress on the back – lying on your side is better than lying on your stomach with your head tilted back and your spine twisted.
The right mattress is the foundation for your bedroom furniture. From there you can pick the right bed set and dresser, but you won’t be able to enjoy those or any other furniture in your new apartment if you’re in constant back and neck pain.
Richfield Lifestyle Estate is a luxury residential development in the East Legon Hills in Accra. For more information on this and other luxury developments in Ghana, visit www.mobusproperty.com.
Contact Mobus Property for more information.
For more exciting industry news and updates follow us on LinkedIn.